Our friend Damiana is back with another delicious and easy-to-make recipe. This time, she’s sharing her recipe for Romanesco broccoli meatballs.
This type of broccoli, also known as Romanesco, is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, as well as fiber and minerals, and is low in calories. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make soft and flavorful meatballs using this nutritious ingredient.
1 kg of organic Romanesco broccoli
2 eggs A handful of breadcrumbs
A handful of grated grana cheese
For breading: polenta flour/breadcrumbs”
- Take the Romanesco broccoli and separate the florets. Wash them and steam them for 20-30 minutes (cooking time varies depending on the size of the florets).
- Once cooked, mash the broccoli with a fork and add salt, eggs, breadcrumbs, and grated cheese. As a variation to grana cheese, you can use your favorite cheese: caciocavallo, asiago, scamorza, etc..
- When all the ingredients are well mixed, shape the mixture into balls with your hands and coat them in white polenta flour. If this is not available, you can use breadcrumbs.
- Put the meatballs in the freezer for 15 minutes. This step is essential to make the meatballs firm.
- Take the meatballs out of the freezer, heat the oil, and fry them for a few minutes in hot oil, turning them frequently.
And voilà, your dish is ready to serve.
Recipe suggested by:
Damiana is passionate about Italian cuisine and more. Originally from Veneto, she has been living in Switzerland for several years. She has also started experimenting with recipes that go beyond her culinary tradition. She is particularly mindful of the use of ingredients in the kitchen, especially since becoming a mother. She tries to always make her dishes with seasonal and high-quality products, with a special focus on everything that is organic. Her recipes are simple and as conscious as possible.